07 Nov Don’t Forget to Protect Your HVAC When Remodeling Your Home
With all of the debris and changing priorities during a remodeling project, it’s easy for your HVAC system to be potentially get damaged and maintenance forgotten. When planning your remodeling project make sure to take the steps to protect your HVAC system.
There are some simple things you can do to make sure that your home and your HVAC system both look great after the remodel:
- Review your house plans with contractors to understand how it will impact your HVAC before committing to a specific contractor or project. It’s easier to avoid damage before anyone has started changing anything.
- If the remodeling project creates a lot of debris or dust, try not to run the HVAC system while the work is occurring or before it’s cleaned up. The particulates can clog your filters and duct work.
- Sweep up, vacuum and wipe down the work area frequently to keep down the buildup of dust and particulates as much as you can.
- Clean your HVAC filters frequently if you do run the system while the remodel work is going on. Filters can be clogged with small bits of dirt even if they don’t look soiled.
- Close air registers in the rooms where work is happening to keep particulates from getting in them. If you do run the HVAC system in other areas of the house, be sure you aren’t shutting down the airflow to your compressor on accident, because it can put more stress on the system and cause it to overheat or have other problems.
- Hang up plastic tarps in work areas to separate them from the rest of the house to keep the mess contained.
- Have the contractor conduct most of the cutting, sawing and other particulate producing activities outside, or somewhere where there isn’t a HVAC register.
- After the remodel is completed, be sure to have the HVAC system inspected and cleaned.
Please contact Airtron Heating & Air Conditioning for more ideas on how to protect your HVAC during remodeling.