08 May Spring Energy-Saving Tips for Your Houston Home
This spring, as the weather warms up, you’ll have ample opportunity to save more energy in your Houston home. Here are some easy home energy-saving tips you can implement today:
Spring Energy-Saving Tips
- Use natural ventilation. When the weather outside is comfortable, open up your windows, and let fresh air ventilate your home. Spring is a great time to open windows as soon as you awaken, and let cool morning air into your home. This will delay the point in the day when you have to turn on your A/C. Remember to close your windows before the sun goes down.
- Use fans to help with spring cooling. A ceiling fan can provide a cooling wind-chill effect in the home. This allows you to to delay running your A/C or to set it a few degrees higher than you might ordinarily. Make sure the fan rotation setting is on counterclockwise, so the air is blowing downward. During the winter, some homeowners set the blade rotation clockwise to help circulate warm air.
- Get a programmable thermostat. If you don’t, keep on top of adjusting your standard thermostat to increase energy saving. You don’t need to fully cool or heat your living space when nobody’s home during the day, and most home occupants don’t mind cooler temperatures at night during the spring.
- Seal air leaks in your home’s exterior envelope. Once it starts getting hot outside, warm air will infiltrate into your home, forcing your A/C to work harder and waste energy. Make sure to replace worn or missing weatherstripping on door jambs and window sashes, and use caulk or expanding spray foam to seal gaps and cracks in your home’s exterior.
- Schedule spring maintenance. Among the best spring energy-saving tips is probably to schedule a spring maintenance tune-up for your air conditioning system. This will ensure your system is ready to perform reliably and efficiently throughout the spring and summer.
For more spring energy-saving tips, please contact Airtron Heating & Air Conditioning in the Houston area.