23 Jan Home Maintenance Methods That Keep Your HVAC System Happy
Residents of Houston live with drastically varying weather. Winters are cool, summers bring blistering heat, and autumn and spring swing from one extreme to the other. Check out our home maintenance suggestions that will help keep your family comfortable all year long:
1. Gutters are installed around your roof to collect rain and snow, redirecting water away from the home’s foundation, preventing cracks. Every fall, gutters and spouts need to be cleaned, inspected and repaired. Tighten brackets so they support the weight of snow without breaking.
2. A watertight roof protects your home and leaky roofs cause expensive damage to the wiring, plumbing and furnace. Be sure to include a roof inspection and any repair in your annual home maintenance.
3. During the annual HVAC service, ask the technician to review the outside of your home. Cracks in the exterior of your home will increase your heat expenses and cause icy drafts. Look alongside the window frames, doors and places where wiring and plumbing enter the home. Also, make sure to examine the foundation of your home. Fissures let water drain into your basement, causing structural damage and even ruining your possessions. The spaces need to be completely caulked before wintertime.
4. The furnace and ductwork require annual servicing. An HVAC technician will make sure that everything is running smoothly, saving you from expensive emergency calls for help in the middle of the winter. Not only will the system operate better, cleaning out the ductwork will greatly improve the quality of your indoor air. Dust and other debris accumulates while unused.
5. The air filters should be changed every month. Fall visits from your HVAC company are an excellent time for a technician to change them and look around to make sure everything is working the way it should. If you have allergies in your family, consider a higher grade filter to keep your air as clean as possible.
Call us at Airtron Houston today and we’ll help you get your home ready for the winter!